If you’re feeling nervous about plastic surgery or have doubts about a procedure, it’s extremely helpful to know the right questions to ask your doctor before going in to the first consultation. By coming into your consultation well-prepared, your surgeon can recommend the right procedure for what you want done and ease your anxiety, helping you feel more confident in your decision.
Here are some of the top questions you should ask when visiting your surgeon for the first time:
About the Team
The practice’s staff essentially serves as an extension of your doctor’s expertise and work ethic. This means it’s important to keep an eye out for how professional they seem and how comfortable they make you feel. Although these are mostly questions to ask yourself, it’s recommended you pay attention to the following:
- Were you helped quickly by staff members when you arrived to the practice? Did the team seem attentive and professional?
- Did the space seem clean and sanitary? Would you feel at ease undergoing a non-surgical procedure here?
- If given a tour of the office, what were your thoughts of the facility? Did everything seem organized and clean?
- Did you feel comfortable and secure at the office?
About the Procedure
If you’re considering plastic surgery, you likely have a procedure in mind already or are looking to the surgeon to examine your facial features to help you determine what procedure is best for you. Whichever your situation, having a list of questions going into a consultation will help your doctor determine next steps and you to feel more comfortable.
– About the surgery and their experience –
- What would you recommend for me?
- Do you have any certifications associated with this procedure?
- Where will the surgery be performed?
- How many times have you performed this surgery before? Do you do it multiple times a year?
- How long does the operation last?
- Is there only one type of surgery for what I want? If there are multiple options, which one would you recommend?
- If I decide to undergo this procedure, will there be any scarring?
- Will I require any touchups in the near future?
- How soon will I see results?
- Are there any complications I could potentially experience?
- Can I see any before & after photos of previous patients that underwent this procedure?
-About the recovery –
- Are there any medications I will have to take after the surgery?
- Do I have to sleep at the hospital on the day of the procedure?
- How should I prepare the morning of? The day/week before?
- Do I need someone to come with me on the operation day?
- Will you provide a document with post-operation instructions?
We have a blog discussing surgery recovery which you can reference for additional question inspiration.
Request Your First Consultation
Now that you know what to ask, it’s time to schedule your consultation with Dr. Stallworth! Give our office a call at 210-997-3223, or schedule online!
Leave A Comment