For many women, the first signs of aging appear in the neck area. This may manifest as a double chin, extra skin laxity, or fatty deposits. However, with the help of an expert facial plastic surgeon, you can experience major benefits by addressing this area.
Neck Lifts are a cosmetic procedure designed to remove excess skin and fat in the area around your jawline, with the goal of creating a more defined and youthful-looking neck. Most of the time, the results are long-lasting and help slow down the appearance of the natural aging process.
The surgery focuses on contouring and repositioning the soft tissues of the neck, along with tightening the thin muscle (platysma) that the neck skin is attached to. The lift creates smoother and tighter contours in this area. During the operation, your surgeon will make incisions behind the ear and sometimes under the chin. Incisions may also extend into the hairline depending on the amount of skin that needs to be removed. This helps to conceal scarring and speeds up the recovery process by minimizing the area that has to heal.
After the incision is made, excess fat can be suctioned away and the muscle and skin will be tightened as if it were a sling under the neck. The result is a smoother, younger-looking jawline and surrounding area. Neck lifts are performed under general anesthesia, and most of the time patients are discharged within a day. The procedure usually takes around two hours depending on the individual.
Some of the top benefits of a neck lift include:
- Removal of excess skin. This often takes “years” off a patient’s face.
- Smoothing out skin. A neck lift will help reduce fine lines and wrinkles by pulling the skin tighter, which results in a rejuvenated look.
- Minimal scarring. Because neck lifts only involve concealed incisions, they are hidden in the hairline or behind the ears, making scars extremely discrete.
- Short recovery. Recovery times for neck lifts are relatively short, with patients able to return to their normal life within 7-14 days. By comparison, other cosmetic surgeries, such as rhinoplasties, take much longer to heal.
- Accomplishing what diet and exercise cannot. Unfortunately, diet and exercise have little to no effect on changes in appearance around the neck area. However, a neck lift can be a perfect complement to your weight loss journey.
- Youthful appearance. Patients often rave about how they feel the confidence of being “years younger” after their neck lift.
- Correction of double chin. A neck lift can help correct what is often referred to as “turkey wattle.” If you have excess fatty tissue in your neck and chin area, your procedure can be combined with liposuction to remove the extra fat.
- Improved confidence. If the appearance of your neck causes you to feel insecure, this procedure may help give your confidence a boost.
What else to know – Combinations
Some patients will elect a neck lift combined with another facial cosmetic procedure, killing two birds with one stone. Some of the most common combinations include neck lift + facelift, or neck lift + rhinoplasty. Combining these will generate optimal results! We share more procedure combinations here.