Rhinoplasty, or nose reshaping surgery, is one of the most popular plastic surgeries performed throughout the world. Although these surgeries are generally very well tolerated and performed as an outpatient procedure, there are some post-operative issues that may arise from hours to days after the surgery. It is important for patients to be prepared for the rhinoplasty recovery phases after surgery to ensure that results are optimal.
To better help you prepare for your post-operation recovery, Dr. Stallworth shares a list of things to keep in mind before your rhinoplasty procedure.
Get ready for rhinoplasty recovery by following these tips
- Swelling after rhinoplasty is extremely common, and even expected. Some patients, though, experience more swelling than others. On average, most of your nasal swelling will peak in the first week after surgery and then slowly resolve. It is estimated that based on photographs, 70-80% of your swelling will resolve by 3 months. Even so, that means that 20-30% will remain and slowly disappear over the course of one year. In some patients this can last even longer, especially if a previous nasal surgery has been performed in the past.
- Internal swelling after your rhinoplasty will result in feeling congested for the first few days to one week after the surgery. Recommendations will be provided on how to manage your congestion and help keep your nose moisturized and open after surgery.
- After rhinoplasty surgery, patients typically wear a nasal tape and a splint for one week. You should be prepared to wear this until your surgeon removes it at your follow up visit.
- In the first days after surgery, patients generally report nasal or sinus pressure, a headache, sore throat, and possibly even some nausea. These will be discussed during your consultation and preoperative visit, and prescription medications will be provide to help manage these to keep you as comfortable as possible during your recovery.
- Sleeping with your head at an elevated at an approximate 30º angle is the way to go. This will help your swelling resolve faster and help return to better breathing faster.
- Another side effect of surgery may be bruising in the under eye area. Don’t be alarmed if this happens to you! Expect bruising to disappear from 10-14 days after your rhinoplasty if it does occur.
- After your procedure, please avoid wearing glasses to prevent any alteration to your nose. It is also recommended to restrain from any type of strenuous exercise until cleared by your doctor.
Every patient’s recovery will vary, but no matter the case, you should take the appropriate precautions to make sure the recovery process will go smoothly and y.our results are optimal.
Rhinoplasty in the right hands
At Stallworth Facial Plastics, you can rest easy knowing you’ll receive professional guidance and answers to questions regarding your rhinoplasty recovery! If you are interested in rhinoplasty in San Antonio, schedule a consultation with Dr. Stallworth today!
Leave A Comment