Facelifts remain one of the top cosmetic surgeries performed in the U.S. They are formally defined as, “a surgical procedure that lifts and tightens facial tissues and may involve removing excess skin and smoothing out folds or wrinkles.”
If you’re looking for a procedure to revitalize the youthfulness of your face, a facelift may be the way to go. Here’s what you need to know about this popular procedure:
You can (and should) make sure you’re a safe candidate for a facelift
Facelifts are often the cosmetic procedure of choice for removing visible signs of aging in the face and neck area. Almost anyone can get a facelift, but there are some criteria that will make you a safer candidate for this particular procedure:
- You are not a smoker and don’t misuse substances.
- You’ve spoken to your surgeon and have realistic expectations on the outcome of the procedure. (This is not the right cosmetic procedure for those seeking drastic or unrealistic changes in appearance.)
- You do not have a medical condition that may negatively impact the healing process.
There are no age limitations to getting a facelift
There is a misconception about the “right age” to get a facelift, but truthfully age doesn’t really matter! Although most people who undergo the surgery are over 40, skin often begins to lose elasticity around age 25, and collagen production begins to decline around that time as well. Because of this, you may begin to see changes in your facial appearance in your 30s or even as early as your 20s. A facelift may be a viable option to reversing these effects of aging.
On the other end of the spectrum, there’s no maximum age to getting a facelift. As long as you’re healthy and your body can tolerate surgery, you should be good to go! And with different facelift options available, your surgeon can tailor your individual surgery to your personal goals and make it as minimally-invasive as possible.
How it works
All facelifts follow a similar process:
- Your surgeon will start by making an incision on your hairline, often near the temples.
- They will then remove excess skin and fat. They may try to find that excess fat a new home by redistributing it evenly across your face, providing additional volume to select areas.
- Finally, your surgeon will tighten up your muscle and connective tissue, resulting in firmer-looking skin.
Any scarring will be minimal and nearly invisible
Incisions made for facelifts are incredibly tiny and almost impossible to see. A well done facelift will leave minimal to no noticeable scarring on your skin. This may vary depending on where your incision is made and your body’s healing process, but most often the incision scar is nearly (or entirely) invisible.
Men can get facelifts too!
Yet another misconception about this procedure, many men believe that facelifts are only for women. This is completely wrong! Facelifts can benefit men too by providing better jawline definition and removing neck folds that may make shaving more difficult. The procedure is very similar between men and women, although incision areas may differ and the surgeon will need to account for differing muscle and bone structure. But if you’re a man in good health looking to tackle wrinkles or sagging areas, a facelift may be right for you!
You’ll need to take certain steps to prepare for your facelift
Preparing for a facelift is similar to any other type of cosmetic surgery but may vary depending on your individual situation. Your surgeon may ask you to avoid certain medications leading up to surgery, or they may request you have an evaluation done beforehand.
Other tips for preparing for your facelift include:
- Planning to have someone drop you off and pick you up before and after the facelift, since you’ll be under anesthesia.
- Quitting smoking at least four weeks beforehand.
- If you regularly dye your hair, coloring it before the procedure. It will be around six weeks before you’ll be able to color it again.
For more tips on preparing for your facelift and post-operation recovery, check out our previous blog.
Ready to get started?
If you believe getting a facelift is the right step for you, Dr. Stallworth is here to help! Contact us by calling 210-997-3223 or filling out the form on our website. Let’s get started on a journey to a new you!
Leave A Comment