There is a prevalent misconception that cosmetic facial surgery is reserved for younger demographics, but this isn’t accurate at all. Many patients who seek cosmetic surgery are in their sixties or older. In fact, according to a study by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, 77% of people over 65 show interest in cosmetic surgery.
Things to consider
During your initial consultation for facial plastic surgery, your surgeon will conduct an examination and determine whether the procedure you seek is safe for you. Typically, a board-certified surgeon will:
- Go over your medical history and risk factors associated with it.
- Consider your overall health.
- Determine how safe and viable the procedure is.
- Discuss what the recovery timeline looks like.
- Go over any risks associated with the procedure that might increase with age.
- Determine the results you’re looking to achieve.
- Inspect your skin’s condition.
- Review any medications you’re currently taking.
Most common procedures for ages 60+
Some of the most popular procedures amongst patients 60+ include:
- Neurotoxin injections such as BOTOX®, which has the potential to help with skin elasticity and slow the visible effects of aging. Its maximum effects typically last three to four months.
- Dermal Fillers such as Restylane or Juvaderm can be particularly helpful for restoration of facial volume. Depending on the area injected and the filler used, results may last from 6 months to 2-3 years.
- Facelifts are also a top choice for those looking for a more youthful appearance. Facelifts remove excess skin to elevate sagging skin, muscle and fat for a tighter, smoother result.
- Eyelid surgery, otherwise known as blepharoplasty, improves the look of the eye area. With time, your eyelids tend to get droopy. Blepharoplasty helps correct fine lines, wrinkles, and crow’s feet. The recovery process is typically only 2-3 weeks before others will have no idea you had a procedure done. This recovery tends to be one of the easier ones tolerated by our patients.
- Chemical or Laser Peels are a non-surgical treatment for older patients. They help exfoliate the skin on the face and neck to smooth out wrinkles and help you look radiant.
- Neck lifts are typically performed alongside facelifts. A neck lift removes fat from the neck and chin areas, which tend to get saggy with both age and weight gain. With a well-trained surgeon, this surgery helps contour the area to make you look much younger!
Are you over 60 and interested in cosmetic surgery?
If you’re looking for safe and effective cosmetic surgery options, Dr. Stallworth is ready to help! Call us at 210-997-3223 or fill out the contact form on our website. We look forward to hearing from you soon!